Creative Planter

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Creative Planter
  • From: Steven & Sharlyn Rocha <srocha@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 10:17:02 -0600 (MDT)

Dear Friends on the List,
	With the first good rain of the season, our new planter bed looks really
outstanding. Steve has it stocked with thirty new arilbreds and eighty new
iris.  I am very excited to see how my artistic decoration of the planter
is doing.  He built the planter fifty-six feet long and two feet wide out
of pressure treated wood.  It is raised and sits in front of a fence at one
end of our iris field.
	 I began collecting huge rocks to put in front of it.  I made a layer of
dirt outside it which slopes downward and is about two feet in length.
Then I went all over collecting the biggest rocks I could find.  It was
many backbreaking trips loading the trunk and I had to laugh at myself when
people looked at me like, "What do you want that rock for, lady?"  You see
we live way out in the country where there are trees and rocks all over.
Most people consider the rocks  a burden.  Our land is cleared of all
rocks, so we consider them  a novelty.
	   After I got hundreds of rocks placed neatly along all 56 feet of the
box, I bought some Disneyland iceplant, two flats.  I planted this
succulent inbetween each rock.  Now the rain has really made them fill in
and it looks so spectacular.  When the iris bloom, we will take pictures of
this striking planter and post them on our website.
	 We have always put our iris directly into the ground and it is a new
adventure to see them in such a fancy environment!
			In Love With Iris,
Steven and Sharlyn Rocha
Zone 9, Region 15
Ramona, Ca. 22 miles N.E. of San Diego