Re: HYB:Converting Tets to Dips

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB:Converting Tets to Dips
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 13:27:16 -0600 (MDT)

Greer Holland wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was just thinking.....I've learned of two methods for converting Dips
> to Tets on this list so far.  Is there a known method of going the other
> way?  That is, converting a Tet to a Dip?

Perhaps the best way would be to cross tets with dips
to get trips, and then cross trips with dips and maybe
get dips.

Probably sounds (and is) dumb, but I doubt that even
a small garden would overflow with seedlings.

> Why would anyone want to do this?  Well, in the bearded class, the MTB's
> are almost exclusively diploids.  A converted Tet might bring new
> possibilities into MTB breeding.

Isn't Ben Hager doing good things with tet MTBs these days?

Gerry in Los Angeles, where a 219-day period without rain is over
gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society