HYB:Converting Tets to Dips

Greer Holland wrote:

>   I've learned of two methods for converting Dips
>   to Tets on this list so far.
>   Is there a known method of going the other
>   way?  That is, converting a Tet to a Dip?

Not direct conversion, but you can work the Triploid
Route from Tet to Dip as well as from Dip to Tet.

>  Why would anyone want to do this?  Well, in the bearded class, the MTB=
's
>  are almost exclusively diploids.  A converted Tet might bring new
>  possibilities into MTB breeding.

1.  Cross Tet X Dip & Dip X Tet.

2.  Select for fertility among the Triploids.

3.  Intercross the Triploids and cross Triploids with Diploids.

4.  Select for Diploids.

A proven method for injecting TB & BB genes into the MTBs.
But don't expect to be overrun with seedlings....

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com