articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

Emerald ash borer may have predator

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Lace Handkerchief iris

Spring Hill had this puppy on its cover last spring, and one of the SFIS club
members offered it as a door prize at one of our meetings.  I won it, and Erik
finally got it from the nursery earlier this month.  He got two, and popped
one in the ground as soon as he got it, but then was unable to check on it for
a few days.  When he did, he found it had died, in a three-day span.  From
this, I deduce it must be allergic to either alkaline soil or dry conditions,
or both, so it must be a beardless iris, and I've kept mine in a pot.  Seems
happy and is putting out new, charmingly variagated foliage.  Does anybody
know what kind of iris this might be?  The label from Spring Hill doesn't
help, and if I remember, their catalog description didn't, either.

Barb, in Santa Fe, with still no sign of frost, but the aspens have begun
turning up on the mountainsides.