Sony scientist 3D-prints gardens

Inside theft of world's rarest water lily

Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

RSS story archive

Lace Handkerchief iris

Spring Hill had this puppy on its cover last spring, and one of the SFIS club
members offered it as a door prize at one of our meetings.  I won it, and Erik
finally got it from the nursery earlier this month.  He got two, and popped
one in the ground as soon as he got it, but then was unable to check on it for
a few days.  When he did, he found it had died, in a three-day span.  From
this, I deduce it must be allergic to either alkaline soil or dry conditions,
or both, so it must be a beardless iris, and I've kept mine in a pot.  Seems
happy and is putting out new, charmingly variagated foliage.  Does anybody
know what kind of iris this might be?  The label from Spring Hill doesn't
help, and if I remember, their catalog description didn't, either.

Barb, in Santa Fe, with still no sign of frost, but the aspens have begun
turning up on the mountainsides.