CULT: antibacterial organics--FWD from Walta

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: antibacterial organics--FWD from Walta
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 21:31:51 -0600 (MDT)

Subj:	  Re: CULT: antibacterial organics?
Date:	97-09-28 21:08:57 EDT
From:	wmoores@sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu (Walter Alan Moores)
To:	henryanner@aol.com

 Moderate amounts of peat are undoubtedly good for loosening clay soil.
Leaf mold and compost are even better because they enhance more biological
activity.  I suspect the effect that Walter has referred to in reporting
his experience in Mississippi is due to better soil structure (achieved by
adding peat) rather than any specific effect of peat itself.  In other
words, I think that if Walter had used leaf mold, old sawdust, compost or
any other organic amendment, he would have seen the same results.

What do you think, Walter?  Have you tried other organic soil amendments,
and if so, how have they worked?

Bill Shear

	The only amendment I have added is the peat because it is readily
available and easy to use.  Actually, the soil where I currently garden
does not have as much clay in it as the soil in my previous location where
I first experimented with peat.  There are some locations in my current
garden (loess hills soil) where no peat has been added.  Irises in the
peated area grow much better than in the non-peated.

	Another iris gardener about ten miles away has used peat in his
beds for years, but not to the extent that I do.  Like KFC, there are
eleven 'secret' ingredients in Jim's soil mix, and I do not know the
other nine.

	Thanks to Anner for sending me this post as the MSU server crashed
again this week-end, and I am using the Ole Miss server to respond until
MSU corrects its problems.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8