Fwd: HYB:Interploids and Polyploids

Walter Moores wrote:

>  In LA breeding Mertzweiller mentions the above.  Marie Caillet has
>  just sent me CREOLE RHAPSODY (Mertzweiller '98) and it is described by=

>  Marie as being an interploid.

>  Sharon, can you tackle these two terms and simplify them?

Ploidy is just the number of sets of chromosomes.  =

It tells us nothing about the number of individual
chromosomes or their types -- just how many sets =

there are.

A diploid has two sets.
A polyploid has more than two sets.  That includes
triploids, tetraploids, pentaploids, etc.

I haven't encountered the term "interploid" before.
Intuitively, I'd say the product of a cross between
parents of different ploidy.  It would aptly describe
the product of such a cross when the true ploidy
can only be determined by extensive test crosses
and chromosome counts.

But that's just an educated guess.  The real
question is what Marie means by "interploid". =

Sharon McAllister