Re: SIB: Dwarfs--Little White

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SIB: Dwarfs--Little White
  • From: Bill Shear <bills@tiger.hsc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:33:36 -0600 (MDT)

Some years ago, SIGNA had some seed from a correspondent in Korea, offering
such goodies as I. koreana, rossi, etc.  I got these and all of them turned
out to be I. sanguinea, except one plant from the packet labelled I.
koreana, which gave rise to a pretty little dwarf white siberian, not a
prolific bloomer, but all parts in proportion.  Unfortunately I have since
lost this, but had sent plants to Elaine Hulbert in Floyd, VA, who might
still have it.  She sent back a photo the next year of the plant in bloom.
I currently have a plant of I. sanguinea nana from Arrowhead Alpines, but
it has not bloomed.

By the way, I. sintenesii, I. ruthenica and I. gracilipes, all from
Arrowhead, survived our drought quite well and I expect some bloom this
coming spring or the next.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College