Re: Opinion please....

Irisborer@aol.com wrote:
> My questions are on a policy for such a tape:
> 1.  Who owns such a tape?  The club who sponsored the speaker or the speaker?
> 2.  What do other clubs do when a tape is made?  I suggested loaning it
> freely within our club and renting it outside the club.
> This particular speaker is very kind and generous and he is not the problem..
> however, he has raised the question because he believes a policy should be
> put in place.

Always being one willing to put his foot in his mouth....

My cut on it would be the following:

The information on the tape belongs to the speaker. It is his form of
artistic expression, just as the words on a piece of paper are the
artistic expression of the writer.

If the owner of the copyright (implied in this case) gives or sells
those rights to the club, then they may be used by the club within the
context of that grant.

If I were the speaker, I would write a letter to the club (retroactively
in this case) granting you (the club) permission to record my
presentation, and granting the club the right to use the tape in the
limited context of sharing it with other members of the club and/or
renting it to other clubs for the purpose of wiewing it only. I might
even want a royalty (or not). All copies of the tape should be marked
with a copyright notice (to me). (Hmmmmm - on second thought maybe I
can't do that until I register it. Hmmmmm - it probably wouldn't hurt

So maybe the way to establish policy would be to create a letter, that
any speaker you have would be asked to sign, that would grant the club
royalty-free permission to use the tape of whatever (named/dated)
presentation the speaker was going to give in limited use context of
loaning/renting the tape to Hosta clubs.

Me no lawyer, this is my personal opinion only and should not be
construed as any sort of advice.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.