Re: CULT: I. versicolor

Barb, from my own time in New Mexico, I would suspect that Iris versicolor
would be perfectly happy outside during the winter in Santa Fe.  Bury the
pots up to their rims in the soil and keep them moist through the winter.
Even if the pots freeze, it should not hurt the plants.  If you keep them
growing through the winter they may be unhappy, missing the 'vernalization'
needed to bloom and grow properly.  If you have enough plants you could
experiment with both methods. Given a moist environment, I. versicolor
should do OK in the ground, perhaps with extra peatmoss to counteract the
normally quite alkaline soil.

Another problem, if you don't have a greenhouse, is providing enough light
for iris seedlings indoors in the winter.

How about an unheated cold frame?

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College