Re: Dolomite Lime,PLEASE HELP!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Dolomite Lime,PLEASE HELP!
  • From: "Marylou G. Gibson" <mggibson@ucsd.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:44:04 -0600 (MDT)

Several experienced gardeners have told me and I have put into practive
over the last year the addition of gypsum to the soil to break up the
cement like soil we have here in southern California.    My beds are now
with the addition of compost and gypsum easily turnable and less claylike.
Bags of gypsum are available in gardening stores  and instructions
regarding application has been on the bag.

Marylou Gibson
Carlsbad, CA  Zone 9

>	I have some important questions about Dolomite Lime.  I have gotten my
>daughter's sixth grade class interested in planting a bed of iris on the
>school grounds.  I am donating a different color iris for each member of
>the class.  They are planting them tomorrow as a class project.  I prepared
>the soil with compost and super phosphate and  15-15-15. My problem is that
>the soil still doesn't look right to me.  I have never seen a soil so
>claylike.  I used to make pottery, and this soil feels like potter's clay.
>It also had some red dirt at one layer.  Even though I put in plenty of
>compost, it looks clumpy.  Steve said he had heard that adding Dolomite
>Lime to the soil will help breakdown clay.  Does this work and how much
>should I add?  They are planting tomorrow so I would appreciate any advice
>I can get today.

>Steven and Sharlyn Rocha
>Zone 9, Region 15
>Ramona, Ca. 22 miles N.E. of San Diego