Re: Soft rot

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Soft rot
  • From: daf10@cornell.edu (Dorothy A. Fingerhood)
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 12:31:14 -0600 (MDT)

Ann wrote:
>         I was inspecting my irises today (seeing as how the bloom season is
>about to start here) and I found some soft rot on Titan's Glory.  It seemed
>only to be an increase that was affected - the other fans look OK at this
>stage (the main one is getting a stalk).  My question is: should I move it
>at this stage given that there is bloom coming?  Needless to say, I have
cut away the affected area.  Any suggestions, people?

I would just dust the "wound" area throughly with a product similar to the
U.S. "Ajax" or "Comet"-- powdered kitchen cleanser containing chlorine
bleach.  Disinfects the wound and dries it out a bit, too. If no powder is
available, I would use chlorine bleach.

This offers nearly 100% success in stopping soft rot, in my experience.  No
need to move the plant, unless the rot is REALLY extensive, then you might
have to dig it out to disinfect thoroughly.

Enjoy your blooms!

Dorothy Fingerhood
Newfield, NY, USA