HIST---HIPSource Asks for your Assistance

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST---HIPSource Asks for your Assistance
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:00:07 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings,

I have assumed the duties of Commercial Source Chairman of HIPS, the Historic
Iris Preservation Society, that section of the American Iris Society which is
concerned with the appreciation and conservation of iris cultivars over thiry
years old and historic species. My chief duty in this volunteer position is
to address the needs of interested parties seeking to find places to purchase
older irises, and the needs of those commercial sources which provide them.

I would appreciate your help in a matter. Simply stated, I am interested in
identifying  significant sources of older irises, if any, which do not
advertise in ROOTS, the HIPS journal. We are fortunate to have several superb
sources whose offerings are large enough to justify their supporting ROOTS,
which support we at HIPS appeciate greatly, but there may be other nurseries
who do not advertise, and they may have a few cultivars available nowhere
else. I am particularly looking for sources of older beardless irises,
especially Siberians, for bearded cultivars from the period 1945-1960, and
for species and species variants. I would also like to hear about regional
sources which do not advertise if you feel their holdings are interesting, if
they ship, and if you can recommend them. Obscure nurseries are sometimes
obscure for a very good reason.

I would also like to hear about nurseries who advertise in the AIS Bulletin
who are primarily purveyors of modern cultivars if their image and
advertising do not suggest that they also stock a few significant historics.
I obtained one cultivar this year from the last place I would have looked for
it.

If you, yourself, are in the business of selling irises and sell some
historics, and you do not advertise that fact, I would like to hear from you.

The purposes of my request are two: I would like to be able to identify
commercial sources for as many historic cultivars and species as possible,
and I am giving some thought to conducting a broad assay of  historic irises
in commerce to see what can be learned from this both from the standpoint of
conservation, and also as information potentially valuable to the commercial
sources themselves, and thus to us all.

We of the internet community are fortunate that we have so many remarkable
sites from which we can learn about irises of all kinds. One of these is the
HIPS site at www.tricities.net/~mikelowe/. It is hoped that through this page
many persons will discover these remarkable flowers and the stories they
tell. They may also want to buy them, and HIPS does not want them to be
disappointed. We hope you will help.

Would you please give some thought to my question and let me know privately
what you know? I have established a special mailbox for HIPSource and I
invite you to use it if you wish.Comments are certainly welcome. Other
correspondence should still come to Henryanner@aol.com.

I thank you very much.

Anner M. Whitehead, Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society, AIS
HIPSource@aol.com
"Don't let the old ones slip away"