Re: I. Japonica... was Lace Handkerchief iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: I. Japonica... was Lace Handkerchief iris
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:54:02 -0600 (MDT)

David L. Schaffer wrote:

> Could any one provide the hybridyzer's name or the year it was
> introduced in the AIS. Please don't throw mud at me if this is a dumb
> question. I am not a brain, just a little ol' country guy who likes
> Iris, Daylillies, Hosta's, and water gardening. Maybe you'll know > Barb.

David,

If you are referring to I. Japonica, it is a species iris and would not
have a hybridizer's name associated with it.  However, the 1930 American
Iris Society's checklist shows Japonica being...one of three...either
introduced, originated or described by a Swedish Botanical author, Carl
Peter Thunberg, in 1794.  I would probably have to say described as...my
opinion...a species would probably not be introduced or orginated.

Probably somewhat more than you wanted to know?

For those who need to know, especially other Californians, Japonica
loves California.  I have mine planted under foothill oaks, providing
dappled shade in the summer and they hardly get any water.  They grow
and bloom profusely.  The only problem is an occasional frost may nip
them as they bloom very early.  March here.  I just recently acquired I.
Japonica variegata and will plant it out soon.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California...where we had a scorching 98F today.  Fortunately we
took time off of our transplanting in the afternoon.  Finished the
talls. Hooray!
Zone 8