Re: Rebloom on ROSALIE FIGGE

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Rebloom on ROSALIE FIGGE
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 22:05:07 -0600 (MDT)

Walter A. Moores wrote:
>         ROSALIE FIGGE opened its terminal bloom this morning.  I first saw
> it around 7 a.m. bathed in  dew and not completely unfurled in the 58o
> chill of the early morning while shielded from the sun by the towering
> pines that border this property.  This afternoon after being warmed by the
> sun all day, it is fully expanded.  As RF grows in my garden, it is a
> wavily ruffled navy blue with just a hint of a white arc around the
> violet-tipped white beards.  With at least nine more buds on the stalk,
> RF should continue in bloom for the next ten to twelve days.  Titan's
> Glory and Violet Miracle are the proud parents of RF, with the form coming
> from TG and the reblooming capability donated by VM.  Thanks to Jane
> McKnew for producing such a lovely flower and also naming it for a grand
> lady.

Right you are about the beauty of this cultivar.  I had it bloom in July
and August and now it is blooming again on some plants I transplanted in
July.  Many buds here also.  However I do not want to "split hairs"
about the color, but to me it seems dark violet or purple.  Maybe it is
our climate/soil differences.  I'll look for the white arc around the
violet tipped beards.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California