Re: CULT: I. versicolor

Hi Barb
      I have some I. versicolor in pots just because I'm running out of
space. I put my potted iris in a protected spot in the garden (between two
rows of wooden sided raised beds) and stuff shredded wood  between the pots.
I lose very few, but they don't grow as vigerously. If you have small plants
and the temps go below 20 degrees it would probably be a good idea to give
 them the extra care  you are considering.

Yuri,
     I was surprized to read that the slugs ate your versicolor. I live in
 an area where there are what seems to be more slugs than people. I have
found slugs among the versicolor but not causing  serious damage. Perhaps I'm
an optimist but don't give up on those roots you have left. Protect over this
winter and encourage growth in the spring. Just maybe there is still a bit of
life left.

     I just lined out a versicolor I did a cross to get 2 years ago. They are
a vigerous plant , but at this point I don't know if they are really unique
or just unique because they are my cross.

Rita B
region 14, Western Washington State
generally mild summers and winters due to Puget Sound being 2 miles away
Enjoying a few more days of sunshine before the long gray days start.