Re: Opinion please....

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Opinion please....
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:20:40 -0600 (MDT)

Kathy Guest raised the following interesting question.  I'm not a
legal expert; such a person might have different ideas.  But it would
seem to me that  (1)no use at all may be made without the speaker's
permission, in writing.  (2)the speaker may give permission to
use the tape within the club only, or (3)the speaker may give per-
mission to the club to rent the tape for its own profits.

Arnold Koekkoek (who hopes the speaker chooses #3, so we may rent it
someday)

> I need input on a situation that has occurred in our local hosta club.  We
> had a fantastic presentation recently which we video taped... and upon
> viewing the tape, realized that it's good enough to share.
>
> My questions are on a policy for such a tape:
>
> 1.  Who owns such a tape?  The club who sponsored the speaker or the speaker?
> 2.  What do other clubs do when a tape is made?  I suggested loaning it
> freely within our club and renting it outside the club.
>
> This particular speaker is very kind and generous and he is not the problem..
> however, he has raised the question because he believes a policy should be
> put in place.
>
> Kathyguest... hoping I got this right - seems like it was more complex

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250