Re: Opinion please....

Arnold, responding to Kathy said;

<< Kathy Guest raised the following interesting question.  I'm not a
 legal expert; such a person might have different ideas.  But it would
 seem to me that  (1)no use at all may be made without the speaker's
 permission, in writing.  (2)the speaker may give permission to
 use the tape within the club only, or (3)the speaker may give per-
 mission to the club to rent the tape for its own profits.
 Arnold Koekkoek (who hopes the speaker chooses #3, so we may rent it
 someday) >>

I concurr with Arthur, who has spoken the essence of the matter. I would add
a fourth: that the speaker may give permission--or withold it-- for the tape
to be duplicated and used in the above manner(s). I would say that all of
this should be cleared up well in advance of the taping and not sprung on
someone in public at the last moment when they are preoccupied with their
presentation and not in a reflective mode. I would also accord the speaker
the prerogative of withdrawing permission for use without prejudice if the
tape embarrasses them. Nothing will be gained by taking an adversarial
position. Cooperation is the way. They are your guest.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,Va.
Henry Hall henryanner@aol.com