HIST whites (again)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST whites (again)
  • From: Merrily A Smith <mesm@loc.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:58:30 -0600 (MDT)

Sorry about partial transmission.  Something went wrong at this end.  The full message is:

I recently asked about distinguishing among a few historic whites, and Celia provided some great
information, as usual.  Since then I have searched a few historic catalogs and come up with more
information for anyone who is interested.  It's useful, I think, to see the variation in bloom times and heights
from catalog to catalog.

     J. Sass 1935.  M 48"  One of the tallest pure whites.  VIgorous, graceful and hardy.  Fine for backgrounds
(Edenwald Catalog, 1949).

     Graves 1950.  M35"  Floriferousness is an important attribute in an iris and Helen McKenzie exemplifies it
to an overwhelming degree, a broad planting of it in the garden looming like an incredible snowdrift.  This is
undoubtedly the purest white iris we grow.  Its perfect white is much admired and as a landscape iris it has
everything.  HM '50 (Schreiner Catalog, 1959; same in 1962)
     Pure white, even to the beard.  Said to be the best white. (Gable Catalog, 1965)

     Fay 1946.  M 40"  Pure white with bright yellow beard, large perfectly formed and ruffled, durably
substanced and hardy.  A high quality iris.  (Edenwald Catalog, 1949)
     Fay 1946.  ML 38"  As white as new drifted snow, the individual flowers are a vision of beauty.  The beard
is bright yellow emphasizing the purity of the bloom.  The flower is nicely formed, ruffled, and the branching
is moderately good.  One of the best whites.  HM '46; AM '49 (Schreiner Catalog, 1959; same in 1962)
     Large ruffled white.  AM '48 (Gable Catalog, 1965)
     Fay 1946.  EM 38"  Fine wide ruffled white.  Large flowers on well branched stalks.  One of the very best of
the older varieties.  AM '48 (Gable Catalog, 1973)

     H. F. Hall 1953.  M 33"  A fine patrician of stalwart poise and serene uniformity is this majestic white iris
with a gold encrusted overlay centering around the beard.  A beautiful new white with very flaring form
(illus).  HM '53; AM '58 (Schreiner Catalog, 1959; same in 1962)
    H. F. Hall 1953.  36"  Exceptionally large white hafts covered with gold.  AM '58 (Gable Catalog, 1965; same in

     Nesmith 1936.  M 38"  Beautifully sculptured pure white, very large and flaring.  The glistening, domed
standards and extremely arched and flaring falls, both lightly ruffled, produce one of the most appealing
whites we grow.  (Edenwald Catalog, 1949)