Re: CULT: of AR: and AR: SPEC: any REF: ?

From: Marte Halleck <MorJHalleck@worldnet.att.net>

FRich93359@aol.com wrote:

[snip]
> I need to know more about the plants.  I also received a oncocylus
> species plant I. atropurpurea.  I need to know how to plant it.  I am not new
> to irises but I am new to arils.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I
> have 97 types of irises, including 33 species.

Carl, Tom Tadford Little gave you some helpful info on I. atropurpurea
but I was surprised that he didn't tell you about the Aril Society
website which TOM maintains! Here's the address:
http://www.rt66.com/~telp/asi.htm  You'll find some more help there
along with some cool photos of Arils & Arilbreds.

I, too, am a newbie at growing ABs & just planted my 1st ones. My "soil"
is very rocky & fast-draining but just to be sure that the rz don't get
more moisture than they like during their dormant period, I planted them
on a slope (not too steep) that's in full sun. I'm going to be even more
impatient for spring/summer than ususal this year, anxious to see what
thrives & blooms here.

Lots of Coloradoans grow ABs I'm discovering, tho most do so in the
flatlands where conditions are very similar to the home countries of
Oncocyclus & Regelia irises. I'm in the mountains at 7,400', have a lot
shorter growing season than, say, Denver does & typically more snowfall
-- but summer precip. is about same-same & this seems to be the key to
growing both true arils & the ABs that have a high percentage of aril
background. Experienced Colo. & N. Mex. growers keep telling me that
they grow 1/4-bred ABs (& most 1/2- & 3/4-bred as well) in the same beds
with their other bearded irises -- this seems confusing but I suspect
they already have excellent drainage in those beds so it's not a
problem. Besides, being in the flatlands they probably don't have any
slopes handy to plant on!

I know of 2 Denver gardeners that successfully raise Aril species,
including I. atropurpurea -- one keeps his in pots, which he moves onto
a covered breezeway when they finish blooming, the other has an A-frame
rig that he puts over the arils to protect them from excessive rain.

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado