The Joys of Weeding

From: Irisborer@aol.com

One thing to be said about weeding the old fashioned way, is that you can get
up-close and personal with your garden.  I wear Rubbermaid rubber gloves which
give me good traction on slimy weeds and I can happily spend an afternoon
yanking and seeing what's going on.  I'll often find little plants, artifacts
and critters that I would surely miss if I were nuking everything with Round-
Up (although I confess to nailing the Bishops Weed and Chinese Lanterns
whenever I think of it.... no real effect, BTW).

I am someone who LIKES to weed.  You wouldn't know it based upon the crop I'm
growing out there, but there's something very satisfying about the chore.
It's also a great time to think, since weeding as an activity does not take
great intellect.   I suppose it's kind of like fishing without the beer <BG>.

But, on the other hand I have just been advised that I have one of the
scariest weeds of all, nut sedge.  I have further been advised that this
should NOT be pulled (something about spreading the 'nuts'), but rather dug.
I wonder if I could use Round-Up then??  Anyone have any experience with this

And, anyone who has:

1.  Nurtured a weed believing it was a real plant
2.  Pulled a real plant, believing it was a weed

raise your hand  (my hand's up, BTW).

Kathy Guest... who has a beautiful crop of purslane out there and who just
bought the book Weeds of the Northeast to try to even the odds of the above.
in East Aurora, NY