Re: OT: Joys of Weeding

From: Cheryl & Erich Schaefer <schaefer@epix.net>

>And, anyone who has:
>
>1.  Nurtured a weed believing it was a real plant
>2.  Pulled a real plant, believing it was a weed
>
>raise your hand  (my hand's up, BTW).

My hand is raised to both many times, Kathy. I have a rather large garden
and this year it really got away from me. So, growing in it are quite a few
things we might consider weeds when they are in the flower beds rather than
in the meadow: pennisetum (green and purple fountain grass), Queen Anne's
Lace, New York  Asters, wild campanulas, rudbeckias, etc. But much to my
surprise, these plants have added a great deal to the garden's interest,
particularly color, taking nothing away because they are native plants
rather than cultivated ones. I intend to leave a specimen or two of each
right where they are. Of course, leaving a few "weeds" will make it a
little easier to clean up the rest. Cheryl

Cheryl Schaefer
schaefer @epix.net
Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY