Re: The Joys of Weeding

From: "Lewis,Shirlee E" <Shirlee.E.Lewis@kp.ORG>

> From: Kathy Guest
> But, on the other hand I have just been advised that I have one of the
> scariest weeds of all, nut sedge.  I have further been advised that this
> should NOT be pulled (something about spreading the 'nuts'), but rather
> dug.
> I wonder if I could use Round-Up then??  Anyone have any experience with
> this
> one??
My folks have this one.  And boy do I just hate it.  I am not sure if
pulling it will spread the 'nuts'; but pulling will NOT get the nuts out of
the ground.  A nut left behind is guaranteed to get a new plant.  I am in
the process of removing it from a 10 x 20 foot area in the back of their
garden.  I dig and sift and dig and sift.  I is a long process.  I recently
heard of a strange concotion consisting of tobacco juice tea, straight
roundup and something else [I can't remember what].  Mix up potion.  Double
glove and then manually apply to each visible blade of nut grass.  I thing
the therapy of digging and sifting is far safer.

FYI.  This plant was originally imported into the Riverside, California area
as a possible agricultural crop.  Supposedly the little nut might have
commercial value.  That never happened and now it is a rather unwelcome pest
in many lawns and gardens.

As another note.  I purchased a little seat that is on wheels and doubles as
a storage space for clippers, trowels etc. at Home Depot last year.  I
really like it.  It is about 9 to 10 inches high.  I just sit on it and roll
down the rows of iris and pull weeds to my hearts content.