CULT - weeding problem

From: ECPep@aol.com

I am joining Bill Shear in the protest over too much of everything thrown at
the garden.  It is quite expensive to garden this way and one must have a
place to keep all of the chemicals.  At my age I tend to forget what the
measurements are when I wish to mix up a batch and it becomes a worse nuisance
than weeding.

Then there is the problem of testing what will accept without damage what
chemical.  I sprayed a huge petunia integrefolia (best petunia on the market)
for aphids and lost the flowers for a month.  I think I can accept spot
treatment for some of horrid pest but I also eschew plants that will not grow
without some sort of medication.  My garden sits on the acquifer that produces
water for our well and that is another thought.

Finally weeding is part of gardening.  An analogy might be as washing the
dishes.  Cooking and washing up go together.  None other than Christopher
LLoyd in one of his many books speaks on the subject of weeding.  He points
out than one getting closer to his plants acquires education in the process.
Weeding a garden is a relaxing chore and produces a great looking garden as
the accomplishment. Since one nearly ever has the garden free of weeds and
picture perfect,  it can be considered as an ongoing project, parts tidied up
as time allows.  The home gardener might consider the hatrid of weeding could
be remedied by a change of attitude.  There is no miracle to be purchased that
will produce the perfect garden. Some weeds are always in some gardens.  How
many have that obnoxious yellow oxalis which sneaks into, of all places,
houseplants?  My husband has been conspiring against plaintain in the lawns
for thirty years.  Goldfinshes love plaintain seed.

I drenched all of my irises with Cygon this spring, once,  and failed to
complete the program.  Instead I have decided to observe which prosper and
which do not.  If one has a lot of irises that is a lot of Cygon.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
z4