Re: Weeding:finding alternative methods (the Action Hoe)

From: Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@alaska.net>

R. Dennis Hager wrote:
> Dennis, if you are considering the purchase of a hoe, I would recommend
> the Action Hoe, or one designed like it. Unlike the ordinary hoe, which
> has the flat blade mounted at a right angle to the handle, the Action
> Hoe blade looks like an open stirrup and is mounted at approximately 45
> degrees, so that when you are holding it, the bottom of the "stirrup" is
> parallel to the ground. Both edges of it are sharp, so that weeding can
> be done with both push and pull. It really works well.

The stirrup hoe is an excellent garden tool and I use it all the time in
my vegetable garden. The only note I might add is that not all brands
are created equal. The original Action Hoe works well, and actually has
a slight angle in the bottom blade which causes the blade to not rest
completely flat on the ground.
The first stirrup hoe I purchased, made by Ames, had an absolutely flat
blade which laid the entire length of the blade squarely against the
ground. While complete contact with the ground sounds good in theory, it
made it harder to create the scuffling action which makes this hoe so
easy and effective. I finally went out and purchased the original, and
it made a lot of difference. While my husband had less problems than me
with the Ames, having more muscle power, he still preferred the angled
blade of the original, because it was much easier to work.

Kathy Haggstrom
Anchorage, Alaska/Zone 3