Re: home compost alternative (was I DO NOT AGREE)

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: home compost alternative (was I DO NOT AGREE)
  • From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:10:12 -0500

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

>Garden wastes (leaves, clippings, etc.) make up far too much of the mass
>going into our landfills.  Composting allows you to make use of them right
>at home.  Stuff "put in the trash" doesn't just disappear, it winds up
>taking up space in landfills.

Amen. In Little Rock, though, we are fortunate to have a municipal yard
waste recycling program. So if I have yanked my weeds a bit late and
they've gone to seed, and I don't trust the temp of my home bin (which is
usually pretty good but not when we're as dry as we've been lately) I can
toss those seedy weeds into the yard waste pickup.

The municipal system allows citizens to collect free finished compost
several times a year. The bulk of what they produce is sold to professional

If your town doesn't have one of these programs, ask why. Almost every yard
here, even the non-gardeners who will never home-compost, contribute
leaves, limbs and grass clippings. That's a lot of matter not filling up
our landfills. :-)

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons