Re: Medians

From: Steve Johndro <johndros@ainop.com>

Lora L. Masche wrote:

> From: "Lora L. Masche" <loramasche@cdepot.net>
>
> Hi Shirlee,
>
> I believe SDB's love the cold and the snow.  Our SDB's do better than TB's
> because of the snow they get.  We are at 3,000 feet and only get 3" to a
> foot of snow most years but we get a good share of low temperatures.  I
> don't know about refrigeration.  Guess one could experiment with a rhizome
> they don't like.   Good luck!
> Lora L. Masche
> Forquin Mountain Iris Garden
> 21643 Shake Ridge Road
> Volcano, CA 95689
> (209)296-4436
> http://welcome.to/irisgarden

Hello....This conversation makes me wonder what irises there are that
don't like the cold temperatures.  I'm trying to broaden my assortment
of irises and would rather know which ones are suitable to colder
climates.  Where I am it get's down to -40...sometimes colder in the
deepest of the winter.  And we get tons of snow.....way too much. So far
I have siberians, bearded in all heights, japenese irises, and the dutch
bulbs.  Is there any other type of iris that would like my cold
winters?  Thanks  and have a great gardening day!   Pat in northern
Maine