Re: Medians

From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>

> I have a question [probably stupid].

The ony stupid question is the one not asked!

>Do the smaller bearded iris need a really good cold spell to get them
>to bloom?  I purchased one SDB [I think] last year and it had lots of >increase but no bloom.

I don't find that problem with SDB's but do have it with MDB's.  Here in
Lubbock we grow a lot of SDB's without a problem.  Maybe yours is just
waiting for next year to blow your socks off with a clump of bloom.

>If it does need that cold time, can I put it in the frig [like my >tulips] to give it that little extra so that it will bloom?  If that's
>what it takes I think that it is going to go in a pot so that I can do >that each year without disturbing the clump.

I have planted all of my MDB's in a bed raised about 1 foot off ground
level.  This was done in the hopes that the raised bed would chill more
than the ground does.  So far it is working.  My MDB bloom percentage
has increased nicely but for some we still don't get cold enough.

--
mailto:ddbro@llano.net
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7 Usda, Zone 10 Sunset