Re: "Washed Out" leaf fans?? and Iris Borers

From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>

Tammy King wrote:

> From: Tammy King <tlking@ap.net>
>
> Hi all~
>
> Sorry about the subject, but don't know exactly what category to put this in.
>
> Here it is in a nutshell, if you will...I have some DB that the leaf fans
> have turned very pale in the middle mostly. The tops of the fans are the
> usual pretty green, and the bottoms are still green. However, the middle of
> the fans are almost pure white! More of a cream color, but we'll just say
> white...
>
> Anyone know what this is? I haven't noticed any other problems with them,
> and want to know if this is a prelude to something horrid, or just a benign
> thing happening.

Nothing to worry about, what it sounds like is "sun bleach".  If you
have been having hot temps this summer this can happen.  Having many
iris I don't go out of my way to provide any protection, but I have been
known to place "clods" of dirt against the bleached area.  Using some
sort of shingle will help if you are worried.  This usually only happens
when your iris fans are facing East or West.  The North or South facing
fans should be ok.  Check it out!  With the arrival of cooler temps this
problem will be history.

> Also, one other question, I'm in California, about 40 miles east of the
> coast, in Santa Rosa, and wondering, do we get iris borers here? I've never
> seen one, but then again, I haven't been irising for years and years either.
> With all the talk of iris borers and the damage they do, I'M SCARED!!

Well, forget your fears.  As Linda D mentioned they are not known to
exist west of the Rockies... and a small town near Pittsburg.

> Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Your welcome.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California....in the Sierra Nevada foothlls near Yosemite
National Park.
Zone 8