Re: Weeding:finding alternative methods (the Action Hoe)

From: John Montgomery <monashee@junction.net>

This has been a fascinating discussion. I have seen this
question debated several times over the past couple of years
but never at this level. For the first time I think, no one
has made the statement that what they do in their garden is
not the business of anyone else. Of course what we each do
does affect everyone else in some way and we should be very
concerned about what we do (unless we live in a
self-contained bio-dome.

In a similar way, the statement that "your garden may be too
big if you can't weed it by hand" does not appear to have
upset most people. As a case in point, the rapid inroads of
arthritis is a future problem for me and inevitably will
force some decisions on me. When that time comes I hope that
I will have the common sense to say, "well I had a good run
at it and now it is time to leave the lilies and irises and
make a much smaller garden with smaller plants and learn all
over about how to do it." It will be tempting to rant that
it isn't fair and that I want to continue at all costs but I
hope to resist it. After all there is a whole lot more to
gardening, let alone life than irises. Perhaps a nice group
of rocks with mosses and lichens will do just as nicely.

It is inevitable that we leave a mark on our environment but
I think it would be best if our footprints were faint and
perhaps if they were weed covered that might not be such a
bad thing.

John Montgomery
Vernon  BC  Zone 5