Re: OT: Chinese Lanterns & Experimentation

From: Paul & Yvonne Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>

At 05:11 2/09/98 EDT, you wrote:
>From: Irisborer@aol.com
>
>In a message dated 9/1/1998 6:45:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net writes:
>
><<
> Chinese Lanterns are a weed?!?  You're joking?!  This is the 2nd year in a
> row I've tried, and failed, to grow them as garden specimens!!  That is too
> funny. >>
>
>Dennis..... if you can't grow a Chinese Lantern, you should probably take up
>golf  (:

There are two things called Chinese Lantern.  One is the Abutilon (the
rather pretty relative of the hibiscus) and the other is a potential
noxious weed.  I cannot remember what the name of the noxious one is.  I at
one point bought some Chinese Lantern Seeds and when I got the packet in
the mail it was not abutilon but was something else.  After I looked it up
I definitely did not plant them as there were all sorts of warnings for how
it could get out of control.

So....... I would presume that Dennis was trying to grow abutilons and
having difficulties.  I myself have 5 different colours of them plus some
dwarf ones I purchased in a punnet, but I have seeds of the other somewhere
in the house and that is where they are staying (i.e I am not going to
throw them out and have them take over the local tip.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.				Paul Tyerman (Australia)