OT: Physalis and Abutilon

From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

> Are we talking about Abutilans (spelling?) here, or is there another
> plant that goes by the name of 'chinese lantern'.

     The botanical name of the "Chinese Lanterns" in question is Physalis
alkekengi.  They are terribly invasive once established because they can
spread by underground stems in addition to seeding themselves.  When I had
some in Kentucky, they would trail on the ground instead of standing erect,
most likely because of too little sun.
     In Florida, the common name for the Abutilons is "Flowering Maple"
because of how the Abutilon leaf resembles a Maple leaf.  The Master
Gardeners say Abutilon will grow here, but I have yet to try it.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, Florida.