Re: Cotton farmers and iris gardeners

From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Bill Shear wrote:

> From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
> >>         One final thought, most of the commercial nurseries that I have
> >> visited have to use chemicals to maintain their iris properly.  Should
> >> they get rid of their flowers because "they have too much garden"?
> >>         Off my soapbox and back to lurking!!
> >>
> >> --
> >> mailto:ddbro@llano.net
> >> Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7 Usda, Zone 10 Sunset
> >
> >	Dana, this is the best response yet on this subject.
> No, it isn't.
> We've been confusing two quite different things in this thread: commercial
> farming (be it irises or cotton) and home gardening.
	No, I have not been confused at all, nor is Dana.  When one lives
in unfriendly climates, one has to do what he/she has to do whether he/she
is a back yard gardener or the owner of a large commercial spread.  If I
left the kudzu to itself by pulling and picking at it, my garden and home
would be completely covered with it.

	For those home and commercial gardeners who can garden without
chemicals, I envy you.  You are so lucky.  I wish I could.  My wallet
would be much fatter.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8