Re: CULT - weeding problem

From: Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@alaska.net>

> From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

> >  My garden sits on the acquifer that produces
> > water for our well and that is another thought

> This is one of the "costs" of using so many pesticides that Bill
> mentioned.  I am not totally against using pesticides.  On a few occasions,
> I have used some insecticides, but that is as infrequently as possible, and
> only on plants being badly damaged by an insect.
> Your thought above is very interesting, because 90% of the population
> of Florida gets their drinking water from the aquifers.  Thus, I hope
> others understand why I am coming more in line with Bill Shear's stance
> regarding the use of these poisons.
> Mark A. Cook
Mark -- This is well said, and is probably what many people who are
interested in their local environment, but still feel the need for some
chemical protection, feel.

I struggle with this issue, not on my ornamentals, but with the use of
Diazinon on my cole crops. The cabbage root worm maggot is the only
vegetable pest that is a REAL problem up here. If you don't use some
sort of protection, you will absolutely lose your crop. I've tried so
many alternative means that don't work as effectively, that I very
reluctantly use Diazinon 2 or 3 times in the growing season. I did try
Remay one year, which acts as a mechanical barrier, and was effective
until the high winds came up and turned them into kites. It was too
pricey to afford replenishing the Remay. So I struggle with that same
uneasy truce of trying to save one's valuable garden VS. doing as little
damage as possible to the environment. That is my one and only "vice"

The aquifer/spring question you bring up is a worthy issue, one which
would affect EVERYONE serviced by the water source, not just the
individuals who choose to use full scale chemical warfare in their own
private yards.

As you, I am ambivalent, but lean strongly toward "Less is best". Bill
Shear, I admire your stand a lot, but as one "Talker" pointed out, we
need viable alternatives! I for one would gladly embrace a completely
non-poisonous approach if I could. What do you think -- fodder for a
future book? THAT is one book that would occupy a special place on my

Kathy Haggstrom
Anchorage, AK/Zone 3
Anchorage, AK