Re: Iris Setosa

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: Iris Setosa
  • From: Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@alaska.net>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 08:48:02 -0800

From: Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@alaska.net>

> From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
> > I have an iris setosa which put out a blossom yesterday.
> > I found it several years ago by a river, blooming
> > in September

>      You may wish to propagate this plant, register it, and sell it as a
> very late season bloomer, even if you can't hybridize with it.
Good Morning Mark  - I considered what you wrote about registering this
plant, having not considered such until your comment. I'm not sure it's
worthy of registration, as it's main value is its late bloom, the
blossom itself being extremely ordinary. I guess I would have to look at
this plant again with a different set of values in mind. Thank you for
suggesting I consider that angle.

> Returning your extra plants to the bogs is a great idea, as it
> helps keep the native stock from being depleted.
Yes, I like your outlook on that, even though in certain spots here,
they grow so thickly one doesn't need to be concerned about "depleting"
that stock. My thinking is that even though I have weeded these plants
out of my cultivated bog, they are still superior to the common stock,
and thus I want to keep them in the gene pool, so to speak. It is a lot
of extra work hauling these root balls back to the far swamps with the
four-wheeler, but I don't regret it. One other thing I do when I
"collect" a plant is to scatter it's old seed pods in the hole from
which it was pulled and scuff them in, so as to try and keep its genes
going in it's original area. Like I said, I am not concerned about
depleting the iris setosa, only the specific plant I am digging.

>    Down here, it is still clearly summer, and frost usually will not come
> until late November, or maybe even December.  Even here, spring is a
> special time with the native Irises, Blue Eyed Grass, Dogwoods, Redbuds,
> Carolina Jasmine, etc. coming out.
Even after being on the Iris list a year, and hearing of the differing
climates, it is difficult to conceive of what you describe. I had a
severe case of seasonal vertigo last spring when you guys started giving
bloom reports in March, even February. I would look outside at the snow
(which I DO like BTW) and not be able to quite believe what I was
reading was real.

>   I noticed you mentioned having had frost.  Is that "Termination Dust"
> starting to appear on the mountains?
Ahhh....you must have friends from here - I can tell you know it's the
sign of winter. Yes, it appeared early, along with our early frosts, and
didn't just dust the high elevations of the mountains the first night
but came down to the 3000' level (Anchorage is at sea level). Probably
just more El Meano - he's still working up here.
Kathy Haggstrom
Anchorage, Alaska/Zone 3