CULT: Fall fertilizing(was "OT-BIO:" Connie Lane)

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Rebecca A Stickel wrote:

> > I am interested in hearing about the Iris that does well
> >in this climate, especially the ones that have large increases.
> >The wetspring really cut back on my increases.  I also want
> >to know what other Irispeople do about fall fertilizing.
>
> I haven't seen anything on the list as far as a reply.  I too am
> interested in how everyone FALL FERTILIZES.  I don't have a good
> compost pile  going yet so I would have to use chemical fertilizer -
> any suggestions???

I forwarded Connie's message to Linda in Tennessee. She is not currently
subscribed to iris-talk, but she knows a lot about what will survive in TN.

Here in California I fertilize with a 10-10-10 in the fall (as advised by
Maryott's). But we have a much longer fall growing season (in some years it
never stops...) Actually, given the opportunity I till in a 270 or 360 day
timed release fertilizer that is equivalent to a 10-10-10 in concentration.
Then if I want to grow *really* big rhizomes, I give them a shot of liquid
fertilizer in the spring.

John Jones
To reply to me personally click on
mailto://jijones@ix.netcom.com