ADMIN: iris-talk symposia

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

...scrape....scratch... skreeeeeee...scratch ...scrape..... clunk    (sound of
soap box being dragged to center stage)

Thunk, thunk, thunk... (sound of finger tapping on microphone)

Hello? Hello? Is this microphone on? Can you hear me? Hello? Hello?

Ahem, cough.

Good morning, afternoon or evening, where ever you are. I would like to
welcome everyone to the first randomly scheduled meeting of iris-talk
subscribers. I'd like to take a moment to say how great I think it is that all
of you have joined this community of iris devotees. In the two short months
that iris-talk has been operating we have grown to over 210 subscribers from
almost every continent, and certainly from all walks of life. I am very glad
you all are here and would like to say that , personally, I continually learn
new things about growing irises from posts to the list. We come from so many
different environments and growing conditions that I would say that virtually
any problem one person might face, another on the list will have some relevant
experience with it.

Before we start today’s seminar, a short scheduling note. Lunch will be served
immediately following this morning’s seminar, followed by free time until
2:00PM when we will reconvene. During your free time I encourage you to visit
the displays in the exhibition hall on hybridizing, and replanting, and to
take advantage of the iris trading booth. And not to the next item of business.

In this mornings seminar, I would like to talk a little about Subject lines,
you know, those things that show up in your mail box index listing that tell
you what the message is (supposed) to be about.

They can be very useful. There is a lot of traffic on the iris-talk and many
folks rely on the subject lines to decide whether or not they are interested
in that particular message. Consequently, it is important that the Subject
line reflect the major content of the message. Unfortunately, it is often the
case the sender clicks Reply, intending to modify the message or make a major
change in content,  and never changes the Subject line. This makes it very
hard to know whether you want to read the message (judging by the subject
line) or very frustrating, if the subject in the message is something you are
not interested in despite the interesting Subject line.

So, please CHECK the subject line before you send a message, even if you are
replying to a previously posted message. If the subject line accurately
reflects the content of your message, leave it  alone! If it doesn't, change it!

On another note, of late I have noticed that a number of threads (discussions)
have been started without using one of the standard Subject Tags incorporated
into the Subject line. These tags are important because many email programs
allow a message to be routed to a special folder based on the content of the
Subject line. In addition they help categorize and identify messages you may
or may not be interested in. Subject tags are in all caps, followed by a colon.

Below is the list of subject tags, which I encourage everyone to use as a
preface to the subject lines of their messages to iris-talk. Please use the
tags as they are given; do not invent variations. If the practice loses its
consistency, it will also lose much of its usefulness.

 TB:    tall bearded irises
 MED:   median and dwarf bearded irises
 AR:    arilbred and aril irises
 SIB:   Siberian irises
 LA:    Louisiana irises
 JI:    Japanese irises
 SPU:   spuria irises
 PCN:   Pacific coast native irises
 BULB:  bulb irises (Dutch, reticulatas, Junos)
 SPEC:  iris species (particularly those not covered in another category)

 REB:   reblooming irises
 SA:    space-age irises
 HIST:  historic irises and history of iris development

 CULT:  culture
 HYB:   hybridizing
 REF:   references (books and society publications)
 SHOW:  iris shows and related topics
 IRC:   IRC chat sessions (currently Friday nights)
 AIS:   American Iris Society business and issues
 PHOTO: iris photography
 COMP:  iris-related computer topics (record keeping, photo digitizing, etc.)
 CAT:   iris catalogs and discussion of commercial nurseries
 AD:    iris-related advertisement (ads not related to irises are *not*

 OT-PLANTS: other garden plants (not irises)
 OT-ART:    iris-motif art and craftwork
 OT-HUMOR:  iris-related humor
 OT-CHAT:   personal messages and conversation (consider taking it off-list!)
 OT-BIO:    introduction from a new subscriber (please follow with your name)

 ADMIN: list administration issues (reserved for the list owner)

I know this is a long listing, but that is a reflection of the breadth and
variety of our discussions. Don't be intimidated; they will become quickly
familiar after a short time. Try to use the tag that fits your message best.
It is often appropriate to combine a tag from the first set (types of irises)
with one from another set (e.g., TB:HYB:) . If nothing fits, don't worry. The
tags are not mandatory, but they do help a lot.

Thank you very much for your attention. Lunch will be served in the California
room. Today we are having Abalone chowder, artichokes stuffed with dungeness
crab, pasta primivera, grilled chicken Caesar salad, and fresh peach and
raspberry torte for dessert.

Enjoy see you all this afternoon. Oh! For those of you who need to make calls
and check your voice or email, the communications center is outside this room
and to your right.

John Jones
To reply to me personally click on
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.