Re: OT: ANTS

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>This spring a colony of wood ants sprang up under one of my daylily
clumps. The roots of the clump were completely in the ant-hill.
Surprisingly, that clump did better than most others.  The tunneling of
the ants provided aeration to the roots in heavy clay soil, the
excavated dirt was a natural mulch, and the wastes of the ants provided
some needed nitrogen--or so I would guess.
>For information about ant natural history, try JOURNEY TO THE ANTS, by
Holldobler and Wilson.  Wonderful book.
>Bill Shear

I will bear this in mind, and try and be very patient with the
megazillion ants in my garden. Yesterday I found yet another colony of
ants setting up home under an iris rz. My treatment is to remove their
protective rock and back fill their tunnels. They usually move on
quietly. I'm seriously hoping they aren't evolving better methods of
dealing with this planets' greatest pest - us.
(Anyone seen 'Sand Kings' ?)
Jan Clark