Re: Weeding:finding alternative methods

From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>

Jason Leader gave me a name for a gardening technique I use on occasion.
It is definitely low maintenance. Simply select and grow agressive
plants that can take over. When doing a garden design, plant what you
like and let natural selection take over. The strong growers will win
out. He calls it "brute gardening". I find it most convenient for the
gardens close to the street. They rarely get close scrutiny, as they are
usually seen from passing cars. I HATE to work in them, because someone
blows the horn and expects me to look up--or worse yet--stops by to chat
when I'm trying to get the work done. Maintenance is just cutting off
the high weeds occasionally, running the tiller through to rejuvinate
older plants, a little fertilizer and mulch.

Works for me.

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva