Re: LA, SIB, JI switching problem

From: "Patrick O'Connor" <swamp@ix.netcom.com>

Donald,

I can only speak for Louisianas.  A bucket of water will be fine.  It is
the fastest, most effective thing you can do.  In fact, and I am not
recommending this, I have left Louisianas in a bucket of water for over a
year.  I did add a little soil.  They survived fine and some bloomed.  They
were not show winners, but they lived.

The best thing I have done in similar circumstances, however, was to put
the irises in my compost pile.  By this time of year, the compost was
pretty well rotted, and they loved being there.  The really took off and
developed long roots.   I had a similar experience with peat moss.

It would be well to keep the irises upright in the water, or whatever
medium.  The will grow in some strange and inconvenient directions, if left
to their own devices.

Patrick