Re: LA, SIB, JI switching problem

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 9/2/1998 10:42:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
donald@eastland.net writes:

<< about
 if I proceed to lift the current occupants now and give them the same

That should be fine.... and you don't NEED to replant till next spring, if you
wish.  Just 'park' them properly for the winter and you'll be fine.

And by THAT, I mean (keeping in mind that I live in the Buffalo 'burbs),
taking the aforementioned ample pot with happy JI, sib or LA occupant, and
finding a somewhat protected area (I have a 4' wide space between my garage
and Neighbor-from-Hell's spite fence).... I place the pots there, as close
together as I can get them, with shredded cypress mulch in between.  After
there's no denying winter, I load on about 6" of mulch on the top and there
they stay till spring.

Notice that these are ample pots.... which are mulched all around (at this
point, there is mulch underfoot too since I've been doing this for several
years), and mulched on top.  No other care is needed during the winter.  They
do not seem to get too wet, or too dry.  And I've had no rodent damage (we
have the bushy-tailed rats and the striped rats).

So if your project is going to take you into late fall, you might be better
off controling the environment for your water-loving irises a bit longer and
planting them in the spring when conditions are ideal.

I SHOULD mention that you need to remove the plants from the watering trough
(a fine alternative to wading pool) since they should not be standing in water
for the winter.

Kathy Guest
E. Aurora, NY