CULT: nut sedge was: The Joys of Weeding

From: "Rodney Barton" <rbarton@hsc.unt.edu>

Some time ago Kathy (or someone) said:

>But, on the other hand I have just been advised that I have one of the
>scariest weeds of all, nut sedge.  I have further been advised that this
>should NOT be pulled (something about spreading the 'nuts'), but rather
dug.
>I wonder if I could use Round-Up then??  Anyone have any experience with
this
>one??

I have fought nut sedge for many years.  I recently observed that the nuts tend to "float"  when the soil is roto-tilled.  After working the soil give, the nut sedge a chance to start to grow.  Many of the new shoots will come from nuts quite close to the surface and are easily dug with a weeding tool.  (Even shallow like this, pulling the shoot it will likely break it away from the nut.)   There will still be some deeper nuts that this method won't get but you can make quite a dent in an infestation.  Round up will kill my variety  (I don't know if it's the sweet or sour kind.)   It helps to treat two or three days in a row.  Having said that,  I seldom use it and prefer to dig out the nuts.  I also have bindweed (no kudzu, thankfully) and use digging with measured Round-up treatment to control it as well.

As for my philosophy, I weigh in with the "less is best" crowd.  One point that hasn't been made is that on a nation-wide basis a significant amount of pesticides polution comes from home applications.  What we do in our home gardens is NOT insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Rodney Barton
rbarton@hsc.unt.edu
Hickory Creek, (North Central) Texas, USA
Zone 7/8, typical temp range 15 - 105 F (-9 - 41 C)
AIS, SIGNA, SPCNI, SLI, Iris-L

North American Native Iris Web Page:
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html