CULT: The Joys of Weeding

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Greetings:

There are a very few rampant plants with whom peaceful coexistance is nigh
impossible and manual eradication is impossible. In these few cases I believe
the use of an herbicide is called for, but that the least possible amount
should be used,  and only as a last resort, and that the plant should be
targeted closely.

Here is my example: My neighbors decided to have some work done on their brick
garage's roof. This structure abuts my garden and is crowned with a red
trumpet vine--Campsis radicans--which has a main trunk that is five inches in
diameter. I have kept this plant in check with judicious pruning in the winter
months and we enjoy it a lot. To access the roof the neighbors cut the thing
back in its season of most vigorous growth and it retaliated by sending forth
shoots from its extensive root system. Shoots emerged from the soil all over
my garden, some as far away as twenty-five feet from the main trunk. After due
consideration of the problem I went out with a shot glass of concentrated
herbicide and a Q-tip and treated all the new shoots. I doubt that I have
killed the mother plant, and I doubt that I have seriously impacted the
environment, but it appears that I have slowed those shoots, every one of
which was capable of growing a foot a week and all of which would have been
stimulated to greater growth by just cutting them off. Digging them up would
have been impossible since the majority appeared within the impacted root zone
of a forty foot magnolia.

I concur that these chemicals are dangerous to the planet and should be used
as a last resort when detante is not feasible and no other means of
controlling the vegetation is possible. Not when no other means is convenient,
but when no other means is possible.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com