Re: OT: Chemicals up close & personal/attn bill s.

From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

Hello Bill,

Your opinion of chemicals is well known to me and I am not sending this to you
for a debate.  I do believe you have considerable knowledge in this field and I
do listen to what you say but that does not mean I follow what you say.  I
think your opinions on herbicides are very unrealistic.

I use five different herbicides for various reasons and applications; Round-Up,
Poast, 2-4-D, Surflan, and Treflan.  I use all of these very infrequently and
only when I feel it is necessary.  My 8 ounce bottle of Round-Up is now three
years old and still more than half full.  What I want from you is your
knowledge, unbiased by your personal opinions.  Tell me what I should know
about these chemicals.

The only insectide chemicals I now use are Cygon, Sevin and Malathion.  I would
like the same information about these.  I have researched all of these
chemicals, got their data sheets from distributors and such, etc., etc., etc.
But I know you have more knowledge and information than I have.  I no longer
use Diazanon.  I have used Di-Syston 15% in the past but the last use  has been
about 5 years ago.  I also have a one gallon bottle of Chlorodane 75% that
hasn't been used for over 15 years (probably not good any more).  We used the
Chlorodane to control tick infestations when we used to live in the wilds, it
was the only insecticide that was a sure kill on them.

My beliefs on chemical use has changed over the years.  They used to be one of
the first things I would grab for a problem.  Now I use them as a last resort
or, in the case of pre-emergents, as a preventive measure.  I have come to
believe that what we are told is "safe" may not always be so.  Chlorodane is a
good example of this.

I am disabled Bill, it is physically impossible for me to hand weed our garden
so I must rely on other means.  But at the same time I want to be as safe and
reasonable in chemical use as possible.  I do not subscribe and will not
subscribe to your belief that if my garden is too large to hand weed then
reduce its size.  There are many people out there that are in the same catagory
as I am and they will not take your philosophy to heart.  This is the reason I
said your belief is unreasonable.  You are an intelligent man and you know this
is true.  If you really want to do some good and help people to understand the
dangers of chemicals then use your knowledge to explain what the various
chemicals are and the long term effects.  How many people out there knew how
long Chlorodane would stay in the soil?  How many people, like me, still have a
bottle of it stored away somewhere and will still use it, unlike me :) ?  How
about Di-Syston?  How dangerous is this?  How many people have a bag of it
stored in their garage?  I believe you have this knowledge and if you would
share it in an unbiased way it would be far more readily accepted.  When you
post a message like telling people to reduce the size of their garden all it
does is make them angry and they turn you off.  How about it?

On another note, Linda bought a 25 pound bag of Diatamasious (sp?) earth to use
around the garden for insect control (an organic method?).  We dumped most of
it in the trash last week because after Linda started spreading it she
developed nose bleed, watering eyes and a very sore throat.  I assume this is
because of the silica.  Is this the problem?  Should people using this method
also wear protection as if they were using a chemical?  If so, these things
should be made known.  Anyone else have problems with D. earth?

Glenn & Linda Simmons