Re: OT: Chemicals, Particulates and Lung Health

From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

HIPSource@aol.com wrote:

> Extreme precautions must be taken when working with any fine particulate
> matter, including diatomaceous earth, which is the pulverized hard matter of
> minute sea creatures. The danger in inhalation or contact with the mucus
> membranes from this or any other fine particulate matter may be both
> physical-- rasping and irritation resulting in the possibility of infection
> and scarring-- or chemical, which may include fungi and bacteria. When working
> with any fine matter you should use a protective mask designed for the purpose
> and available from hardware stores. A cheaper mask designed to filter fumes
> and pollen is not adequate. The dangers from inhaling asbestos, fibreglass
> filaments, coal dust, and dried poultry manure are well known, but ANY fine
> particulate matter may pose a severe threat to your health.
> For more information on lung health issues contact your local American Lung
> Association at 1-800-LUNG-USA.
> Henry Hall
> American Lung Association of Virginia
> (Anner's Husband)

Henry and Anner, thank you for the info.  The bag of diatomaceous earth had no
precautions listed on it.  Much of the material we buy is from farm supply stores
and they have most things in bulk.  Which means the dry material we buy generally
comes in heavy, plain white bags.  We also get some liquids from bulk sources,
again no labels.   Anything I have a question on I get data sheets from the store
but if I don't think I need it I don't ask for it.  The diatomaceous earth we did
not question.  Neither Linda or I felt the need because this is an organic
material (?).  By the way, Linda suffered nose bleed on and off for around 6
weeks.  If this can be the results from using this then I don't want it in my
soil, that is why we threw it away.

Glenn & Linda Simmons