Re: OT: Butterfly Attractors

From: dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

>>      The plant you have sounds like the native Butterfly Weed, properly
>> known as Asclepias tuberosa.  This species is also native here, and is one
>> of the plants that would have died had I used an herbicide, which,
>> thankfully I did not.
>>
>Yea Mark, you are right.  Asclepias tuberosa is the plant I was talking about,
>any way so Linda tells me.  Linda cultivates this plant.  We have the Butterfly
>Weed scattered around throughout our flower beds.  When it is in bloom we
>always have people stopping by to ask what it is.  :)  It does not transplant
>well.

I saw on a gardening show that they have a "red" version of it (I thought
it was more purple than red, but oh well).  Is this for real?  I thought
that asclepias tuberosa only came in orange.  I thought perhaps this was
another form of asclepias that the garden show mis-represented as tuberosa.
Any ideas?

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, & Miami Valley Iris Society
Primary Interests: Arilbreds, Rebloomers, and Native Ohio Species Irises