Re: OT: Chemicals up close & personal

From: dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

I'm too lazy to use herbicides or pesticides.

When I saw aphids on my irises in spring, I thought "oh no!"

Soon the weeds grew, and lots of insects showed up in the garden, and
wouldn't you know it?  All the aphids got eaten up!  Presumably by the

When the weeds started getting too big for the garden, I went out and
pulled them after a good rain.  Since then, on average, I've pulled the
weeds out about once a month.

It could be that my lazy habits are to blame for my poor bloom season, but
I rather think it was the weather's fault because my neighbors all suffered
similar fates.  And mind you, all my garden plants are perfectly healthy
(except for my hollyhocks which are getting destroyed by caterpillars).

My philosophy (right or wrong): Weeds are easier to control than aphids.
So let the weeds grow!  :)  Then I don't need herbicides or pesticides and
I have lots more money to spend on irises!  Plus I can sit on my fat butt a
lot more.  And that is the most important thing of all.

Alternate philosophy: Weeds are native flowers that occassionally need some
thinning out when they overcrowd themselves.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, & Miami Valley Iris Society
Primary Interests: Arilbreds, Rebloomers, and Native Ohio Species Irises