ADMIN: Symposium - Afternoon Session

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Tap, tap, tap (sound of pointer striking side of podium)

Everyone please take your seats so we can get started. I know some of you want
to try to get out of here early this afternoon because you have a long trip
home. So the sooner we can get started the sooner we can finish up.

Please remember that before you leave we would like to get your critique. It
will really help in putting together future symposia. (Snide remarks about my
personal appearance will be dutifully ignored…)

I hope you all enjoyed your lunch and had a chance to walk it off...

This afternoon I wanted to continue on the subject of the content of our
email.

AaaaOOOOOOGHA

CLANG, CLANG

*HONK*, BLARE

Ok, now that all of you are awake…  I, know, I know, it is entirely my fault
for serving that lunch. Well, no one tied you to the table now did they???  Heheheh

The next subject? Cutting unwanted text from messages. Yes, Yes, I know.  I
can hear the whining now. "Why should I bother?" "I don’t want to take the
time." "I don’t know how"…

Now you are probably just thinking that I am being a nag about all this, but
in reality there are some very good reasons for making your messages as short
as possible, and for trimming any spurious text out of them. The most
important is of course that you want people to read your message and you want
to get your point across as clearly as possible. So why would you want them to
have to search down a long page of irrelevant junk and possibly miss your
pearls of wisdom? If you trim unwanted text out of the quoted reply text and
add your thoughts to the relevant part of the message, then your reader is
likely to more easily get your point. After all, since you are taking the time
to send a message, it must be important enough to warrant your time, so it
would seem wise to do what you can to get it across clearly. Set your comments
off from the quoted text (a blank line is the easiest way), cut out the quoted
text that is not relevant to your reply, get rid of the previous signature
blocks and the onelist paragraphs, check the Subject line and send that
message. It is really easy. We could go into the "it saves electrons", "less
wear and tear on the phone lines", "doesn’t take so much disk space", and the
like, but none of that is anywhere near as important as getting you point across.

Raymond, RAYMOND? Somebody over there give him a nudge will you? I don’t mind
someone sleeping during my talk, but snoring is *not* allowed.

Now then, courtesy not criticism.

Electronic mail is hampered by lack of nuance enjoyed by phone conversation
and personal interaction, so we miss a lot that we are accustomed to relying
on. We also have to be careful not to attribute motives to someone that we
might not really know about. It is absolutely proper to have differing
opinions about things, but getting your point across is better served by
expressing your thoughts from your point of view than by attacking others or
accusing them of one agenda or another. We all enjoy lively debate, it is one
of the things that makes this list so valuable.

One last thought before we adjourn, remember to send those private posts to
the individual and not to the list.

For those of you who are not taking off for distant parts, dinner will be at
the Waterfront restaurant near pier 14. The address is in your program. We
will be having Roasted Nut Sedge, red pepper and garlic soup, a selection of
tapanades, a choice of grilled medallions of lamb in rosemary pomegranate
sauce, grilled sturgeon and mushrooms, or game hens in wild blackberry
balsamic vinegar reduction, wild rice risotto , and garden vegetables. And for
desert, vanilla sherbet with fresh raspberries.

Please drop off your critiques as you leave. If I don’t get to see you again
before you leave, have a safe journey over the network, and may your server
layovers be short and error free.

Thanks for attending and I look forward to seeing you all at the next randomly
scheduled seminar. Don’t forget the Friday night chats!

John Jones
To reply to me personally click on
mailto://jijones@ix.netcom.com
mailto:jijones@ix.netcom.com