Re: dutch bulbs & cold climate iris

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

Pat,

I find dutch bulbs and reticulatas survive well for two years with our snow
cover.  Like you, we can go to -40C with heavy snow cover.  I have two Dutch
iris, a deep purple, that are still blooming from a mixture of 25 that was
planted four or five years ago.  Similarly, only a very dark purple
reticulata continues to survive from a mixture of 50 planted a few years
before that.

As Mark suggests, pseudacorus, tectorum and hybrids of versicolor, virginica
and pseudacorus do very well for us.  We have tested arils and will be
expanding our collection.  We will likely do the same for spurias.  We
haven't yet decided what we will be doing with the PCN seeds we are getting
from Vicki.  We may try a few in the ground next year.

While not in the genus Iris, but in the family Iricidae (did I get that
right?), belamcanda also does well.

Maureen Mark
mailto:mmark@ottawa.com
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)