Iris Grower

From: "James T. Leifer" <iristg@stjohntelco.com>

OT-BIO  Iris Test Garden - Jim and Janet Leifer Family

I just happened to find the iris list as I was browsing on the net.  I'm
hoping that things discussed will be relevant to iris.  I'm not real
proficient on the computer -- so I can get "lost" regularly!

We own and operate Iris Test Garden in the Palouse Country of Southeastern
Washington State.  We began our operation approximately 9 years ago and
purchased an established garden.  We transferred the garden 100 miles (with
LOTS of early mornings and late nights) in two ton wheat trucks.  Our girls
were only 3 & 5 when we began.  Believe me, it was a lot of WORK!!!!  We
farm 1600 acres of leased ground in the dryland Palouse and planted the
iris amidst our wheat & barley fields.

We have now marketed our 2000 varieties throughout the US for the past 5
years.  We have 9 acres of iris -- our girls are older now and are
definitely part of our family operation.  We had approximately 1000 people
visit our garden, farm and home during this year's bloom season.  We grow
bearded iris from miniatures to the tall bearded.

Our goal for this winter is to create our homepage and research ways of
wholesale marketing.  We've made improvements through the years and are
still learning new things.

I'm anxious to be a part of this form of communication and look forward to
hearing from other iris lovers and iris growers.

Many Blessings,  Janet