Re: LA, SIB, JI switching problem

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Anner writes:
> I've been thinking about this and I think that the length of time the
> must be held before they will be put into their permanent locations is a
> factor in whether they should be potted in soil and held in water, or
> held in water. In water they make lots of roots, but the roots of plants
> water are often not as strong as those of the same plants in soil. They
> do not meet the same resistance moving through water that they do in
soil. One
> sees this when rooting up cuttings of things in a jar of water. Sometimes
> there is a problem when the cutings are introduced to actual dirt. This
may or
> may not hold true for irises, but I think if the plants have to be held
> than about ten days I would pot them up and then sit them in water.
I can think of one other reason why I will probably pot in soil - raccoons.
bucket of pseudacorus has been dumped and scattered three times when I've
forgotten to take it in the garage.  They survived being dried out one day
put on new roots, but I doubt the SIBs and JIs would take as kindly to that
the PSEUDs.  They are somewhat less apt to tinker with the pots in dirt.
least in the water trough, they will land in water if they get dumped
instead of
landing in the desert.

Once more, thanks for the input.  It helps.  If I can handle them for an
time, they should be established in beds well before the first hard frosts.
if only the armadillos will leave them planted there.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7  and Anner's comments were too thoughtful to snip!